Friday, April 22, 2011

The Nightmare that was Zara

Ok, so I might be overreacting, but in all seriousness this opening was the most epic shopping experience I’ve ever witnessed.  I say witnessed because I didn’t actually buy anything, but spent most of my time in the store being pushed and poked and, of course, waiting in line.  I waited in a queue to get into the store (granted it was only for about 10mins- and felt like I was in line for a night club more than for a shop), I waited to get close to the racks of clothes (which were actually mostly thrown onto tables usually saved for jeans or folded knits), and then I waited in a queue to try on a fur vest, and two leather dresses.  Thankfully I wasn’t particularly taken by them because then God knows how long I would have had to wait in line to purchase them.
Now I realise that I might be sounding very cynical, but I don’t mean to be because there were actually a lot of very reasonably priced pieces available to buy.  Prices range from approximately $50 (for jeans!) up to around $450 for leather jackets; however by the time I got there after work most of the good things were already gone.
Zara has been a favourite store of mine since I lived overseas for the year in 2006, partly because the clothes are affordable, but mostly because the fashion pretty much goes straight from catwalk, into store- Zara prides itself on the 2 week turnaround and the strategy seems to be working.  With more than 1700 stores in 77 countries and sales amounting to over 8 billion Euros in 2010- this is one damn successful company which is very likely to make other Australian retailers really work for your money.
Whatever your thoughts on the brand, you can definitely appreciate their business model and of course the fantastic trends they have on offer. I highly recommend going to check out the store- remember that they also have great mens and childrenswear on offer.
The line outside Zara on the day of their opening
ZARA opens at Westfield Sydney
ZARA opens at Westfield Sydney
Yours Fashionably,
Nat xo

No comments:

Post a Comment